Kings Basin Disadvantaged Communities Outreach Pilot Project Study
In partnership with the Department of Water Resources (DWR), the Kings Basin Water Authority (KBWA) undertook the Kings Basin Disadvantaged Communities Pilot Project Study (KBDAC Study or Study) to develop an inventory of the Disadvantaged Communities (DACs) within the Kings Basin Region (portions of Fresno, Tulare and Kings Counties) and learn how to better integrate and engage the DACs in the Integrated Regional Water Management (IRWM) planning process. The California Public Resources Code defines a DAC as a community with an annual median household income that is less than 80 percent of the Statewide annual median household income (MHI).
The objectives of the Study are defined as:
- Develop a comprehensive inventory of all disadvantaged communities and their water-related needs, initiate first-time intentional outreach to all identified DACs, and integrate contact info into the Kings Basin IRWMP mailing lists;
- Engage and integrate DACs effectively into the Kings Basin IRWMP by developing Subregion groups to conduct integrated regional water management planning to address priority DAC needs within the Kings Basin IRWMP; and
- Develop conceptual [pilot] project descriptions and cost estimates to include in the Kings Basin IRWMP master project list and facilitate partnerships between DACs and other IRWMP Members and Interested Parties.
Due to the lower income levels generally found in the San Joaquin Valley, most communities in the Kings Basin Region meet the definition of a DAC. However, there is a significant difference in capacity, water supply and infrastructure needs between an extremely large DAC, such as the City of Fresno, with approximately half a million people and a small severely disadvantaged community (SDAC) with populations of less than a dozen residents, such as a mobile home park or community services district.
The Kings Basin Region has over 100 DACs. In order to more effectively reach out and engage this number of DACs, the Kings Basin Region was divided into five Subregions (see map above): Northern Tulare County, Fresno/Clovis and Surrounding Areas, Western Fresno County, Eastern Fresno County and Northern Kings County with a separated inventory of entities and DACs/SDACs. Entities include special district, schools, mobile home parks, cities, unincorporated communities, assemblage of residences with a community water system. With the statewide annual MHI of $60,392, the DAC annual MHI threshold is $48,314 and the SDAC annual MHI threshold is $36,235.
Kings Basin DAC Inventory
Study Area Subregion
|Northern Tulare County||30||15|
|Fresno/Clovis and Surrounding Areas||78||38|
|Western Fresno County||44||22|
|Eastern Fresno County||68||30|
|Northern Kings County||17||5|
Pilot Project Study Final Report
Due to the large size of some of these documents, we recommend that you ‘right click’ your mouse on the document of interest, then select ‘Save Target As’ or ‘Save Link As’ to download the document on your local hard drive prior to opening.
- Final Report August 2013 (7.2 MB)
- Executive Summary (606 KB)
- Appendix A Northern Tulare County Pilot Project (1.7 MB)
- Appendix B Fresno_Clovis and Surrounding Areas Pilot Project (733 KB)
- Appendix C Western Fresno County Pilot Project (2.2 MB)
- Appendix D Eastern Fresno County Pilot Project (2.4 MB)
- Appendix E Northern Kings County Pilot Project (1.8 MB)
- Appendix F Grant Agreement (1.9 MB)
- Appendix G DAC Inventory & Outreach Summary (860 KB)
- Appendix H DAC Pilot Project Matrices (1.7 MB)
- Appendix I Task 1 Deliverables (2.8 MB)
- Appendix J Task 2 Deliverables (2.3 MB)
- Appendix K General Meeting Materials (707 KB)
- Appendix L Northern Tulare County Meeting Materials (13 MB)
- Appendix M Fresno_Clovis and Surrounding Areas Meeting Materials (1 KB)
- Appendix N Western Fresno County Meeting Materials (12 MB)
- Appendix O Eastern Fresno County Meeting Materials (12 MB)
- Appendix P Northern Kings County Meeting Materials (16.3 MB)
- Appendix Q Progress Reports (3.4 MB)
- Appendix R Draft Final Report (2.8 MB)
Misc. Project Documents
- DAC Outreach & Planning Pilot Grant Proposal (June 2010)
- DAC Outreach & Planning Pilot Grant Agreement (January 2012)
- Kings Basin IRWMP
- Tulare Lake Basin Disadvantaged Community Water Study
- DWR DAC Outreach Pilot Grant Collaboration Group
- Coachella Valley Regional Water Management Group DAC Outreach Project
- Inyo-Mono IRWMP DAC Outreach Project
- Greater Los Angeles County IRWM DAC Outreach Evaluation Project
To read the above documents, you may need Adobe Reader. Click here for free Adobe Reader.