Proposition 1 IRWM Grant Solicitation
LAST UPDATED 4/26/2017
Proposition 1 (Water Code § 79744) authorized $510 million in IRWM grant funds to the 12 hydrologic region-based Funding Areas for the purposes of IRWM. Of the $510 million, $34 million is allocated to the Tulare-Kern Funding Area. The Kings Basin Water Authority (KBWA) is one of seven IRWM Groups in the Tulare-Kern Funding Area. The California Department of Water Resources (DWR) will administer three separate grant programs for the IRWM regions.
- Disadvantaged Community Involvement Program – Water Code §79745 directs not less than $51 million, for the purpose of ensuring the involvement of disadvantaged communities (DAC), economically distressed areas (EDA), and underrepresented communities within IRWM regions. These funds will be awarded on non-competitive basis or direct expenditures.
- The County of Tulare submitted a proposal for the DAC Involvement Grant Program on behalf of the Tulare-Kern Funding Area to DWR in early April 2017. The proposal is undergoing review by DWR. The KBWA continues to work collaboratively with county representatives, IRWM representatives, DAC representatives and NGOs in the Tulare-Kern Funding Area to implement the DAC Involvement Grant.
- Planning Grant Program – Up to $5 million will be awarded through a competitive process, to support the development of new IRWM Plans or to update an existing IRWM Plan.
- The KBWA submitted an application for an IRWM Plan update in September 2016. The DWR released final award recommendations on February 2, 2017 and the KBWA was recommended for $202,817 in grant funding. The total cost for the KBWA IRWM Plan update is $256,052 with the KBWA contributing $53,235 in local cost share.
- Implementation Grant Program – Approximately $418.3 million, will be awarded for Implementation programs and projects, of which not less than $51 million will be allocated to projects that directly benefit DACs (Water Code §79742(d)). Solicitation for the Implementation Grant Program is expected to begin in 2018. More information will be provided as this grant program nears.
Solicitation announcements will be posted to this page following any announcements made by DWR to their IRWM webpage:
For more information regarding IRWM grant opportunities, please contact Program Manager Eric Osterling at 559.237.5567.